Will Python 3.x ever become the actual standard?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 23 10:16:35 EDT 2013

On 23/10/2013 14:52, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>> Thankfully I am.  I confess I don't understand how *nix people endure having
>> to compile code instead of having a binary install.  To me it's like going
>> to the garage to buy a new car, being shown the parts and the tool kit and
>> being told to get on with it.  Perhaps it's a case of second class treatment
>> for users of a second class OS?  Ducks and runs for cover :)
>
> And we can't understand how you can put up without source. :-) Also,
> Unix isn't one platform like Windows, ABI incompatibility and all.
>
> Really, for most things these days it's just
>
>      pip install foo
>
> Skip

Which on Windows often ends up telling you that it can't find
vcvarsall.bat, i.e. you don't have the appropriate version (if any) of
the compiler installed.  You then realise your mistake, go to the
bookmarked link Tim Golden referred to earlier, and a minute or two
later job done.

But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence