Will Python 3.x ever become the actual standard?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Oct 23 10:34:33 EDT 2013

Tim:

> Disregarding Mark's tongue-in-cheek rhetoric for now... perhaps you
> didn't realise that, on Windows, you can't pip install a binary

Mark:

> Which on Windows often ends up telling you that it can't find vcvarsall.bat

I am well aware that Windows users rarely have compilers available.
Perhaps neither of you realized that I was responding to Mark's
comment that, "I confess I don't understand how *nix people endure
having to compile code instead of having a binary install."

On Unix systems most of the time people never invoke a compiler
directly to install from source. Heck, they often don't need to
download directly, as "pip install <whatever>" takes care of all that
drudgery.

Skip