Using "with" context handler, and catching specific exception?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 21:43:39 EDT 2013

Hi,

I suspect I'm holding

How should I use the "with" context handler as well as handling specific exceptions?

For example, for a file:

    with open('somefile.log', 'wb') as f:
        f.write("hello there")

How could I specifically catch IOError in the above, and handle that? Should I wrap the whole thing in a try-except block?

(For example, if I wanted to try a different location, or if I wanted to print a specific error message to the logfile).

    try:
        with open('somefile.log', 'wb' as f:
            f.write("hello there")
    except IOError as e:
        logger.error("Uhoh, the file wasn't there").

Cheers,
Victor