Python Front-end to GCC

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Oct 22 04:55:15 EDT 2013

Philip Herron <herron.philip <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Its interesting a few things come up what about:
>
> exec and eval. I didn't really have a good answer for this at my talk at
PYCon IE 2013 but i am going to say no. I am
> not going to implement these. Partly because eval and exec at least to me
are mostly from developing
> interpreters as a debugging exercise so the test doesn't have to invoke
the program properly and feed in
> strings to interpret at least thats what i have done in the past with an
virtual machine i wrote before gccpy.

If you don't implement exec() and eval() then people won't be able to use
namedtuples, which are a common datatype factory.

As for the rest: well, good luck writing an AOT compiler producing
interesting results on average *pure* Python code. It's already been tried
a number of times, and has generally failed. Cython mitigates the issue by
exposing a superset of Python (including type hints, etc.).

Regards

Antoine.