Python Front-end to GCC

Philip Herron herron.philip at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 21 17:03:51 EDT 2013

On Monday, 21 October 2013 21:26:06 UTC+1, zipher  wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 4:08 AM, Philip Herron
>
> <herron.philip at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, i've been working on this basically on my own 95% of the compiler is all my code, in my spare time. Its been fairly scary all of this for me. I personally find this as a real source of interest to really demystify compilers and really what Jit compilation really is under the hood.
>

> So I'm curious, not having looked at your code, are you just
>
> translating python code into C code to make your front-end to gcc?
>
> Like converting "[1,2,3]" into a C linked-list data structure and
>
> making 1 an int (or BigNum?)?
>

> --
>
> MarkJ
>
> Tacoma, Washington

No its not like those 'compilers' i dont really agree with a compiler generating C/C++ and saying its producing native code. I dont really believe its truely within the statement. Compilers that do that tend to put in alot of type saftey code and debugging internals at a high level to get things working in other projects i am not saying python compilers here i havent analysed enough to say this.

What i mean as a front-end is jut like GCC G++ gccgo gfortran it all works the same each of these are front-ends you can pass all those mental gcc options like -O3 -mtune -fblabla. it is implemented as part of gcc and you can 'bootstrap python'. You can -fdump-tree-all etc.

What i can say is jit compilation is really mistified' in a big way when it comes to projects like pypy when its implemented in python how can it call mmap to make an executable memory block etc. When it comes to compilation i think it gets fairly mistified in the python compiler community even more.