Error Testing

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Thu Oct 31 22:27:33 EDT 2013

On Oct 31, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Neil Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> wrote:

> On 2013-10-31, rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Respectfully, the designers of FORTRAN deserve more respect than
>>> that characterization accords.
>>
>> ???
>>
>> If I say: "My uncle -- a pilot -- knows more about flying
>> planes than the Wright brothers" am I disrespecting the Wright
>> brothers??
>
> No, of course not.
>
>> The state of art shifts with time. Fortran was more pioneering
>> than most languages that followed -- does not mean it got
>> everything right.
>
> They obviously couldn't have gotten everything right; they had to
> work largely in a vaccuum. but in no sense were they haphazardly
> throwing syntax together. They designed it as well as anyone at
> the time knew how. It's stood the test of time, too. There's
> probably a lot more FORTRAN in use and maintained today than
> Wright Brothers airplane parts. ;)

Actually, FORTRAN is probably responsible for more CPU cycles being executed even today than most other languages.  If you think about the fact that most large scientific simulation codes (weather forecasting, combustion modeling, finite-element modeling and so on), are still FORTRAN based, and that those are the codes that occupy multi-hundred-thousand-core petaflop class supper computers for weeks on end, you have to respect its longevity.

-Bill