Error Testing

Tim Chase tim at thechases.com
Sat Oct 19 14:31:19 EDT 2013

On 2013-10-19 14:08, David Robinow wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> You can try all these out in the interactive interpreter (you
>> probably have IDLE installed, which on Windows is rather nicer to
>> work with than the default interactive mode).
>
>  IDLE is cross-platform.  Could you explain why you say "on
> Windows"?

In my experience, the Win32 Python console lacks readline support
(like my stock Python on the Mac OS X machine I have here), and as
such lacks a lot of the niceties.  At least on Win32, there is
recall of previous commands (my Mac lacks even that), but there's no
easy "search for the previous command I typed that contains the
following keyword" (control-R followed by search term), no easy
"insert all matching filenames here" (alt+asterisk), etc.

Idle may not provide all that, but it hopefully provides at least
*some* basic features that the console python.exe lacks.

-tkc