Looking for UNICODE to ASCII Conversioni Example Code

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 22:09:54 EDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <mailman.1267.1382220612.18130.python-list at python.org>,
>  Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Or are you saying that that particular error code path did NOT handle
>> non-ASCII characters?
>
> Exactly.  The fundamental error was caught, and then we raised another
> UnicodeEncodeError generating the text of the error message to log!

Ha... oh, that's awkward.

>> If so, that's a strong argument for moving to
>> Python 3, to get full Unicode support in _all_ branches.
>
> Well, yeah.  The problem is, my pip requirements file lists 76 modules
> (and installing all those results in 144 modules, including the cascaded
> dependencies).  Until most of those are P3 ready, we can't move.

It's still a strong argument, just that unavailability of key modules
may be a stronger one :)

> Heck, I can't even really move off 2.6 because we use Amazon's EMR
> service, which is stuck on 2.6.

Hrm. 2.6 is now in source-only security-only support, and that's about
to end (there's a 2.6.9 in the pipeline, and that's that). It's about
time Amazon moved to 2.7, at least...

ChrisA