Looking for UNICODE to ASCII Conversioni Example Code

Zero Piraeus z at etiol.net
Sat Oct 19 10:14:30 EDT 2013

:

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 09:19:12AM +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Make no mistake, this sort of simple-minded stripping of accents and
> diacritics is an extremely ham-fisted thing to do.

I used to live on a street called Calle Colón, so I'm aware of the
dangers of stripping diacritics:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colón
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon

... although in that particular case, there's a degree of poetic justice
in confusing Cristóbal Colón / Cristopher Columbus with the back end of
a digestive tract:

  http://theoatmeal.com/comics/columbus_day

Joking aside, there is a legitimate use for asciifying text in this way:
creating unambiguous identifiers.

For example, a miscreant may create the username 'míguel' in order to
pose as another user 'miguel', relying on other users inattentiveness.
Asciifying is one way of reducing the risk of that.

 -[]z.

--
Zero Piraeus: in ictu oculi
http://etiol.net/pubkey.asc