Weird problem with UDP and gevent

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Oct 18 11:00:26 EDT 2013

I'm running:

Ubuntu Precise
Python 2.7.3
django 1.4.5
gunicorn 0.17.4
gevent 1.0dev (rc3)

I haven't been able to pin this down exactly, but it looks like if I
do (inside of a custom logging.Handler subclass):

   	# Paraphrased from the actual code
	remote_addr = ("localhost", 9700)
 	self.socket = socket.socket(type=socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
        payload = "..."
	self.socket.connect(remote_addr)
        self.socket.send(payload)

I get intermittant hangs in the connect() call.  If I rewrite this as:

	remote_addr = ("localhost", 9700)
        self.socket = socket.socket(type=socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
        payload = "..."
        self.socket.sendto(payload, remote_addr)

everything works fine.  Has anybody seen anything like this?  I'm
guessing this is some kind of gevent bug.

My apologies if this is the wrong forum.  The gevent mailing list
appears to be broken (no activity in 3 weeks, no response to
subscription request, post via google groups disappeared into the
void), so I'm trying here.