Sexism in the Ruby community: how does the Python community manage it?

Nelle Varoquaux nelle.varoquaux at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 11:00:14 EDT 2013

(I forgot to reply to all, so I'm adding python-list in cc back).

>> Strangely I have never seen sexism on python nor on ruby and the
> >> stangest thing is that this subject seems to make more speach than how
> >> think algorithm in python -_-'
> >>

> > If you have any doubt sexisms exists in the ruby community, have a look
> at
> > the following link: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/CouchDB_talk
> > This ended with Mike Gunderloy's resignation (
> > http://afreshcup.com/home/2009/4/28/a-painful-decision.html) from the
> > Ruby's activists and the beginning of RailsBridge, a project aimed at
> > making the Ruby community more friendly.
> >
> > Similar examples exists in the python community, thought I don't think it
> > ever reached the level of Aimonetti's talk.
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> That is not the mailing list of ruby but a feminist place which talk
> about the the picture that he have used for his speach.

I should have used another reference than this wiki to illustrate my point
(though, even if it is a "feminist" wiki, it describes the facts and only
the facts and has extensive references, which is not the case of the others
references that I have, which express their authors point of view).

Anyhow, the problem with this talk doesn't come from the picture and the
title of the talk, but with all the sexist "jokes" from it.

There are many other examples of sexisms in the Ruby community: this is
just the most striking and famous one.

AFAIK that woman picture have been also use many years ago in most of
> bus stop in france and no one says anything against that and some more
> hot picture.

Indeed, this is an advertisment for underwears, and I see no problem in
having such advertisment in bus stops.
(But I do see problem with french people complaining about a painting of
two men kissing...)
Whether this should be use at a technical conference, this is open to
debate (I sure don't think this is very professional).

> Feminist are feminist and most of time are right, but most of time
> forget to react on somethings, like for exemple when Nicolas Sarkozy
> whistle his wife like a dog at the end of his first national scroll the
> 14 July.
>
> Since Python never act in any ways against women, it should be fine to
> stop to spam the mailing list.

Whilst I do not have strong feelings whether this specific debate should go
on, I do think that questions that affect our community should be discussed
on this mailing list.
I don't think of the Python community as globally sexist, but I am very
glad that the PSF and Pycon's staff take this problem at heart.