Sexism in the Ruby community: how does the Python community manage it?

ishish ishish at domhain.de
Fri Oct 18 11:21:10 EDT 2013

Am 18.10.2013 15:09, schrieb Robert Kern:
> On 2013-10-18 05:03, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

>>> It's not named after a snake, but after a British comedy group,
>>> "Monty
>>> Python". And I daresay that Pike is named after a long stick with a
>>> spike
>>> and axe on the end. Just 'cos that would be cooler than naming it
>>> after
>>> the fish.
>>
>> I don't know which it was named after (could also be a road, eg
>> turnpike), but the language's logo is the fish.
>
> Our logo is a snake, so that's obviously not a good guide. :-)
>
> --
> Robert Kern

> enigma
>  that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as
> though it had
>  an underlying truth."
>   -- Umberto Eco

I quote Guido:

"Apart from being a computer scientist, I'm also a fan of "Monty
Python's Flying Circus" (a BBC comedy series from the seventies, in the
-- unlikely -- case you didn't know). It occurred to me one day that I
needed a name that was short, unique, and slightly mysterious. And I
happened to be reading some scripts from the series at the time... So
then I decided to call my language Python. But Python is not a joke. And
don't you associate it with dangerous reptiles either! (If you need an
icon, use an image of the 16-ton weight from the TV series or of a can
of SPAM :-)"