Sexism in the Ruby community: how does the Python community manage it?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 00:03:17 EDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 10:16:24 -0700, Roy Smith wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:07:48 AM UTC-4, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>> Module names should be  descriptive, not fancy.
>>
>> Interesting comment, on a mailing list for a language named after a
>> snake, especially by a guy who claims to prefer an language named after
>> a fish :-)
>
> It's not named after a snake, but after a British comedy group, "Monty
> Python". And I daresay that Pike is named after a long stick with a spike
> and axe on the end. Just 'cos that would be cooler than naming it after
> the fish.

I don't know which it was named after (could also be a road, eg
turnpike), but the language's logo is the fish.

> (I'm not sure whether the fish was named after the weapon, or the weapon
> after the fish. But I'm pretty sure one was named after the other.)

Maybe. Or maybe they're just short words that came from completely
different sources. In any case, I don't deny the coolness of singing
"Gallant pikemen, valiant sworders" (see Yeomen of the Guard by
Gilbert and Sullivan) while coding in Pike... or playing the Spam Song
while coding in Python... hmm, maybe that's not so impressive, but it
is funny.

ChrisA