Sexism in the Ruby community: how does the Python community manage it?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Oct 17 17:42:23 EDT 2013

On Thursday 17 October 2013 17:34:15 Mark Lawrence did opine:

> On 17/10/2013 20:43, Ian Kelly wrote:
> >>
> >> Interesting comment, on a mailing list for a language named after a
> >> snake, especially by a guy who claims to prefer an language named
> >> after a fish :-)
> >
> > Well, he did say "module names", not "language names".  Few language
> > names are descriptive, and those that are tend to be acronyms: BASIC,
> > LISP, COBOL, PHP, APL.  Note that while that last one is descriptive,
> > it does very little to distinguish itself from any other programming
> > language.
>
> It's just so unfair, poor old CORAL gets left out of this type of list
> every time :(

And I feel the same about ARexx.  An extremely capable language for the
amiga & the only higher level language I ever wrote a commercial
application in.

But boy was I disappointed when I moved some ARexx code to linux & tried to
execute it with Regina.  Never got past the 2nd line because Regina was in
such a small sandbox it couldn't even ask the system for the correct time.
Rexx/Regina might have had 5% of the functionality that ARexx had.  But
commode door never gave Bill Hawes a damned dime for his efforts, not even
any royalties from his book.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Power is danger.
		-- The Centurion, "Balance of Terror", stardate 1709.2
         law-abiding citizens.