Sexism in the Ruby community: how does the Python community manage it?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 07:05:40 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM,  <marduk at python.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 11:13 PM, Owen Jacobson wrote:
>
> [...]
>> 2. What kind of social pressure can we bring to bear to _keep_ Python's
>> package naming conventions as socially neutral as they are, if and when
>> some high-profile dirtbag decides this language is the best language?
>> How can we apply the same pressures to other parts of the Python
>> community?
>
> I'm sorry, but as a member of the hygenically-challenged community I am
> greatly offended by the term "dirtbag".

He didn't mean you, he specifically said "high-profile".

Apropos of this whole thing of giving and taking offense, I'm
currently crewing a production [2] of Princess Ida [2], in which - in
her university - a set of chessmen was enough of a crime to warrant
expulsion, and a sketch of a perambulator (double perambulator,
shameless girl!) was met with a three-term suspension. Yet in the rest
of the world, neither is in the least offensive. Of course, this is an
exaggeration for the benefit of opera, but it does highlight the
fickle nature of offensiveness...

ChrisA

[1] http://gilbertandsullivan.org.au/ - come see us if you're in Melbourne, AU!
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Ida