Sexism in the Ruby community: how does the Python community manage it?

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 12:50:38 EDT 2013

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:18:25 PM UTC+5:30, Zero Piraeus wrote:
> :
>

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 09:20:39AM +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
> > Oh well. There's only so much I can do at once. I've got bigger
> > troubles than trying to solve Ruby's problems with yahoos, and
> > frankly, if I were a Ruby community member, I wouldn't exactly be
> > pleased to have a bunch of strangers from another community come over
> > to tell me all the things I'm doing wrong.
>
> What could possibly go wrong?
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/oct/18/uselections2004.usa2

Fun read that -- thanks.
And it leads to the following analogizing:
Python advising Ruby (forgive the anthropomorphism) is less like Brits advising the Americans than the Iraquis.
Yeah there is no bloodshed (God forbid!) between python and ruby but there is a sense of competition.

A more orthogonal group advising may.. well be more advisable :-)
eg debian packager group or w3 consortium or X-windows consortium or some such

As for the subject matter itself Ive uhh.. nothing to say:
Considering that 'retarded' implies sexism my cultural antenna is currently broken...
I'll squeak a word or two when its repaired...