Sexism in the Ruby community: how does the Python community manage it?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Oct 17 01:48:10 EDT 2013

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 00:22:47 -0400, random832 wrote:

> While this flippant usage of "Nazi" (based on, as I understand it,
> Seinfeld's "soup nazi") may be offensive, it has nothing to do with
> sexism. If the scope of this discussion is to be offensive module names
> generally, then the subject line should have mentioned that.

Almost one entire branch of my family (maternal grandfather's side) were
murdered in the Nazi death camps during the Holocaust, but what I find
offensive is the idea that all figurative or non-historical mention of
the Nazis ought to be verboten. (I know that's not what *you* wrote, but
others, the more earnest left-wing politically-correct types in
particular, have said such things.) I'm particularly disturbed by the
idea that I personally ought to be offended by terms such as "soup nazi"
or "grammar nazi", and if I'm not, there's something wrong with me.

Let me tell you a true story: a Jewish friend of mine got a tattoo[1].
When her Holocaust-survivor grandfather found out, he rolled up the
sleeve of his shirt, pointed to the ID tattooed on his forearm, and said
"I got a tattoo too, and I got it for free."

Now that's class.

There is nothing wrong with "pep8nazi", and to paraphrase Stephen Fry, if
you're offended, so what? There is no guarantee that you will go through
life never seeing anything that offends you.

[1] Well, technically she got more than one. But she wasn't going to
admit to the others to her grandfather.

--
Steven