Possibly better loop construct, also labels+goto important and on the fly compiler idea.

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 28 01:29:31 EDT 2013

On 10/26/2013 07:56 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM, rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes... that page is longer and more confusing than necessary.
>> 1. The double-posting bit is unnecessary -- not been happening after the 'new' GG.
>> 2. The missing attributions problem is new and needs to be added
>> 3. The main message of that page that needs to be noted is
>> - to remove extra spurious lines
>> - to NOT top-post
>
> If someone's editing that page, it'd be nice to also ask people to
> chop their lines short - most newsgroup and mail clients hard-wrap to
> 80 characters, but GG posts invariably come through with one-line
> paragraphs. It's annoying when you try to quote the text, and several
> online archives look ugly when the lines are too long.

That describes my personal preferences too but...

I know people who complain about manually wrapped lines.  When you
widen the window they don't expand to fill the width, and when you
narrow the window they wrap and create this awful ragged effect.

Long lines wrapped by the client reader seem to be pretty common
these days, not just from GG but from many sources although they
remain a minority of messages in c.l.p.

Further, although I've commonly seen complaints about top-posting
or occasionally excessive untrimmed context or html, I don't recall
seeing any complaints about long lines.  Rusi posts here frequently
with long lines and I've not seen any complaints related to that.

I seems to me unfair to demand different standards from GG users
than others even if such posts are more common from GG.

Maybe there should be a c.l.p etiquette page somewhere applicable
to all posters.