Don't use default Google Group client (was re:....)

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 27 00:43:26 EDT 2013

On 10/26/2013 07:25 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM, rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
>> tl;dr I think Mark's scoldings in this regard will work if they come not just from him but from any and every one.  They are likely to have a larger subscription if you would agree to change: "Dont use GG!!"
>> "Users of GG are requested to read and follow these instructions
>> https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython "
>
> [...]
> Anyway, no matter how carefully you fix your own posts, you'll still
> run into the one problem you can't fix: that, because of the extremely
> poor signal-to-noise ratio from GG, a number of people just won't see
> your post.

I just addressed that in another post.  Perhaps your TB reader
somehow missed it?

> And trust me. No matter how many times you ask people to read that
> wiki page, you'll still get far FAR better results by recommending
> Thunderbird or email.

By "results" I gather you mean the production of posts that
are non-annoying to you.  Your "results" do not seem to include
any consideration for what is preferable for the poster -- ie
a pretty selfish definition of "results".

By all means, mention the option of using TB.  But there is
a difference between a recommendation and coercion.  And please
be accepting if the poster decides that GG is a better solution
for them.

For many people, including those that post here infrequently,
who work from different platforms, who want remote access, who
don't have time, skills or interest in doing setup more involved
that a few mouse clicks, GG is better answer.

> I've seen a good number of people go "Oh, my
> posts are annoying because of the software I'm using? No probs, I'll
> change software to not be annoying",

That's fine.  If someone finds TB (or whatever) suits them
better, then all's good for them.  But you are extrapolating
from a few cases to universality.

> which solves the problem without
> the fiddlinesses that the wiki page advocates.

The wiki page advocates nothing.  It offer some options for
both using GG *and* minimizing annoyance to other users.