Don't use default Google Group client

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Oct 26 09:02:19 EDT 2013

rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:

> On Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:10:16 AM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > Do you really intend to say that we have no right to complain about
> > how difficult Google Groups makes it for us?
>
> I think you are mixing up cause and effect, symptom and disease, Steven.
>
> The symptoms are
> 1. Double spaced responses
> 2. Non/improper attribution

Both of which are Google Groups failing to implement established
standard interfaces.

> The 'disease' is:
>
> Google-groups is current technology

Google Groups attempts to interface with standard protocols of
communication, and gets it wrong. Google are well-informed of the ways
in which Google Groups is misbehaving, and they are disinclined to fix
the misbehaviour.

> whereas newsgroups/feeds etc is pre-www technology.

So what? Much of the internet is pre-WWW, too. That doesn't excuse the
misbehaviour of software which purports to interface with standard
protocols but gets them wrong.

To the extent that the mis-implementation of Google Groups makes
messages from there more difficult to read, its users should be
agitating for Google to fix the service, and/or switching to software
which conforms to standards better.

--
 \        “Visitors are expected to complain at the office between the |
  `\                     hours of 9 and 11 a.m. daily.” —hotel, Athens |