python33.lib missing for build_ext in venv environment

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Oct 14 11:28:26 EDT 2013

On 14/10/2013 16:17, Robin Becker wrote:
> I'm trying to port reportlab extensions to Python 3.3. On windows I get a
> missing library error when trying to build/install the trial reportlab in a
> virtual environment eg
>
>> C:\code\hg-repos\reportlab>\python33\python -m venv tpy33
.........ns\rl_accel\_rl_accel.lib
>> /MANI
>> FESTFILE:build\temp.win32-3.3\Release\code\hg-repos\reportlab\src\rl_addons\rl_accel\_rl_accel.pyd.manifest
>>
>> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'python33.lib'
>> error: command '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
>> 10.0\VC\BIN\link.exe"' failed with exit status 1104
>>
>> (tpy33) C:\code\hg-repos\reportlab>
>
> is this a bug or some misconfiguration; should I be using virtualenv?
seems that venv doesn't copy the standard Libs directory into the virtual
environment; if I do that by hand then I get a proper working virtual
environment. Also seems fairly half baked to change the name bin to Scripts, but
perhaps there's some windows centric reason for that even though the Scripts dir
ends up with a lot of dlls & pyds in it. I suppose that ps1 files are in fact
scripts.
--
Robin Becker