Doubt on generators behavior

Krishnan Shankar i.am.songoku at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 04:19:53 EDT 2013

Hi Friends,

I am new to Generators and was learning the same by experimenting. I wrote
a small code which is as below.

>>> def test_gen(var):
...     print "The number is", var
...     if var % 2 == 0:
...         yield var
...     else:
...         print "Number is odd"

But when i was executing i saw a behavior i could not understand. When i
gave an even number,
1. The generator object was created
2. When i gave next the argument was yielded.
3. In the subsequent next the Stop Iteration was raised.

>>> res = test_gen(78)
>>> res.next()
The number is 78
78
>>> res.next()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
StopIteration

But When i ran with an odd number the result of "Number is odd" is printed.
But it seems the generator runs again by itself to Stop Iteration.

>>> res2 = test_gen(77)
>>> res2.next()
The number is 77
Number is odd
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
StopIteration

How did this happen automatically? I am not able to get the execution of a
generator. Can someone please help me in understanding?
Regards,
Krishnan