Python was designed (was Re: Multi-threading in Python vs Java)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 02:36:15 EDT 2013

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> C does not natively provide garbage collection, or exceptions, or many
> other features. But that doesn't make it *impossible* to use these
> features in C, it just makes them *inconvenient and difficult*. To get
> the advantage of such features, you have to build a framework that
> provides them, then exclusively use the framework, while avoiding
> dropping down into the underlying low-level C features that bypass the
> framework. This is inconvenient, error-prone, inelegant, and requires
> discipline, but it is *possible*.

Provably possible, by the Sir Ruthven method[1]: libnih, as used by
Upstart and other systems, is a garbage-collected (refcounted, I
think) C memory allocation library. I believe I mentioned this earlier
in one of these threads.

> For anyone who has no idea what I'm talking about when I talk about
> biscuit joiners:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_joiner

As one of the "anyone", I thank you :)

ChrisA

[1] See Ruddigore, where Sir Ruthven claims to have forged his own
will; his uncle claims it's not possible, which Sir R disproves by
saying that he's already done so.