Python was designed (was Re: Multi-threading in Python vs Java)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 03:01:05 EDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Peter Cacioppi
<peter.cacioppi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've written a fair bit of code in pure C, C++, C#, Java and now getting there in Python.
>
> The difference between C# and Java is fairly minor.
>
> The others have large and significant differences between them. Garbage collectors or not is huge. Exceptions or not is huge.  Dynamic or static typing is huge. Language support for polymorphism or not is huge.
>
> This is just one language feature. I could go on and on. The idea that the differences between these languages is just syntactic sugar and aesthetics is so profoundly misguided that I can only assume that this misconception was proposed as a bizarre form of trolling.

I don't think anyone's denying that there are differences. If there
weren't, we'd all be using the same language! But most of what you
said isn't object orientation. Garbage collection is huge, but it's
nothing to do with OOP. Exceptions are completely separate again. (And
exception *usage* is separate from exceptions. C++ and PHP both
support exceptions, but most operations don't raise them. Python, on
the other hand, uses exceptions for everything.)

ChrisA