Python was designed (was Re: Multi-threading in Python vs Java)

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Wed Oct 16 20:47:57 EDT 2013

On 10/16/13 8:13 PM, Mark Janssen wrote:
>>> If not, Linux, how about Python?
>>>
>>> http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/e2a411a429d6/Objects
>> Or huge slabs of the OS/2 Presentation Manager, which is entirely
>> object oriented and mostly C. It's done with SOM, so it's possible to
>> subclass someone else's object using a completely different language.
> Now this is the first real objection to my statement: OS/2 and the
> Presentation Manager, or windowing system.
>
> But, here it is significant that the user /consumer (i.e. *at the
> workstation* mind you) is *making* the "object" because thier visual
> system turns it into one.  Otherwise, at the C-level, I'm guessing
> it's normal C code without objects, only struct-ured data.  That is,
> you don't get all the OOP benefits like inheritance, polymorphism and
> encapsulation.  C can do 2 of those, albeit kludgingly, but not all
> three.  And without all three, it's not at all well-established that
> you're doing real OOP.

Mark, it's clear you're passionate about computer science, but with all
due respect, you need to learn more about it.  "Real OOP" is a misnomer:
every language brings its own style of OOP, none more legitimate than
any other.  And your earlier idea that punched cards didn't have tokens
is wildly ignorant of the state of software and languages 50 years ago.

--Ned.