Python was designed (was Re: Multi-threading in Python vs Java)

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 06:39:10 EDT 2013

On Sunday, October 13, 2013 6:34:56 PM UTC+5:30, Roy Smith wrote:
> To be fair to Larry, there were different design drivers working there.

One more thing to be said for perl:

I remember when some colleague first told me about perl (I guess early 90s) I was incredulous that the *same* language could run on DOS and on Unix unchanged.
Yeah in principle we all talked about portability however in practice, we found that the only program that would run on all systems was the asymptotic null C program:
main() {;}

So a full scale language whose programs ran unchanged on all systems was BIG back then.

That we take it for granted today indicates the shoulders of the giants we are standing on.