Why isn't this code working how I want it to?

reubennottage at gmail.com reubennottage at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 04:56:27 EDT 2013

I've been working on a program and have had to halt it due a slight problem. Here's a basic version of the code:

a = 'filled'
b = 'filled'
c = 'empty'
d = 'empty'
e = 'filled'
f = 'empty'
g = 'filled'

testdict = {a : 'apple' , b : 'banana' , c : 'cake' , d : 'damson' , e : 'eggs' , f : 'fish' , g : 'glue'}

Now what I want to do, is if a variable is filled, print it out. This however isn't working how I planned. The following doesn't work.

for fillempt in testdict:
    if fillempt == 'filled':
        print(testdict[fillempt])

All this does though, is print glue, where I'd want it to print:

apple
banana
eggs
glue

Perhaps a dictionary isn't the best way to do this.. I wonder what else I can do...

Thanks for any help.