Unicode Objects in Tuples

Piet van Oostrum piet at vanoostrum.org
Fri Oct 11 14:44:42 EDT 2013

Stephen Tucker <stephen_tucker at sil.org> writes:

> ESRI compound the problem, actually, by making all the strings that the ArcGIS Python interface
> delivers (from MS SQLServer) Unicode! (I suppose, on reflection, they have no choice.) So I am
> stuck with the worst of both worlds - a generation of Python (2.X) that is inept at handling
> unicode (on an operating system (MS Windows 7) that is not much better, and being flooded with
> unicode strings from my users' databases! Anything you can come up with to ease all this (like,
> "convert all your strings to unicode as soon as you can and render them as ASCII as late as you
> can") has already been of help.

I wouldn't say that Python 2.x is inept at handling Unicode. You just have to know what you are doing. But that's also true for Python 3.x, although that give you a bit more help. But you can do everything you want with 2.x, I think.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at vanoostrum.org>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/