Skipping decorators in unit tests

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Oct 10 23:13:19 EDT 2013

On 11Oct2013 02:55, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 09:12:38 +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> > Speaking for myself, I would be include to recast this code:
> >
> >   @absolutize
> >   def addition(a, b):
> >       return a + b
> >
> > into:
> >
> >   def _addition(a, b):
> >       return a + b
> >   addition = absolutize(_addition)
> >
> > Then you can unit test both _addition() and addition().
>
> *shudders*
> Ew ew ew ew.

Care to provide some technical discourse here? Aside from losing the neat
and evocative @decorator syntax, the above is simple and overt.

> I would much rather do something like this:
>
> def undecorate(f):
>     """Return the undecorated inner function from function f."""
>     return f.func_closure[0].cell_contents

Whereas this feels like black magic. Is this portable to any decorated
function? If so, I'd have hoped it was in the stdlib. If not: black magic.

> And in use:
>
> py> f(100)
> 201
> py> undecorate(f)(100)
> 200

All lovely, provided you can convince me that undecorate() is robust.
(And if you can, I'll certainly be filing it away in my funcutils
module for later use.)

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

DRM doesn't inconvenience pirates ¿ indeed, over time it trains
law-abiding users to become pirates out of sheer frustration.
- Charles Stross