Newbie: installation difficulties [webapp2 / babel]

BobAalsma overhaalsgang_24_bob at me.com
Mon Oct 7 15:12:40 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm following webapp2 documentation (release 2.1).

I made a mistake in following the text.
I typed "pip install babel" and this led to errors in the installation.
As that user is not in sudo list, I changed users, typed "sudo pip install babel" and everything seemed right.

Further on, the manual says "$ pybabel ...." and when I use that command, the response is "-bash: pybabel: command not found" (in both user environments).

I'd like to solve this and learn at the same time ;)

I'm on OS X 10.8.5, python 2.7.5.

I found a "babel" in /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages.
I found a "babel" in the response to "python -c "help('modules')" | grep babel".
>From which I conclude that babel is on the machine and is known to python.

However, I gather from the webapp2 documentation that babel should also be known to the shell.
I don't yet know how to check this, nor how to repair.

find /usr -name '*babel*'
and
find /bin -name '*babel*'
return no values, but
find /Library -name '*babel*'
does (as expected).

I've tried to find similar situations in documentation, forums, Google but found nothing helpful.