feature requests

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Sat Oct 5 11:58:02 EDT 2013

On 10/05/2013 05:49 AM, macker wrote:

>> Ugly, menial lines are a clue that a function to hide it could be useful.
>
> Or a clue to add a trivial change elsewhere (hint for Ethan: `return self` at the end of `Thread.start()`).

I'm aware that would solve your issue.  I'm also aware that Python rarely does a 'return self' at the end of methods.
Since that probably isn't going to change, a helper function is probably your best way forward.

>> Have you verified that this is a problem in Python?
>
> ?

You stated it "would blow up RAM" -- have you actually tested this, or are you making assumptions based on experience
from other languages, or assumptions based on nothing at all?

>> You could try subclassing.
>
> I could try many things. What this thread is about is trying to fix it on stdlib level, so that people don't have to reinvent the wheel every time.

Did you really expect your idea to just sail through with no opposition, no counter-ideas, no reasons why it might not,
or would not, work?

> Thanks to Chris for his suggestion. Ethan, please stay away from this thread.

Wow, you're rude.

--
~Ethan~