hg.python.org: Server unresponsive and timeout

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 05:46:27 EDT 2013

On 2 October 2013 23:25, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 10/2/2013 5:36 AM, Tae Wong wrote:
>>
>> This post is irrelevant from using Python; so it's an Internet server
>> problem.
>>
>> When you try to connect to hg.python.org, the connection takes forever.
>

> I believe hg.python.org is on a different machine than python.org. It has
> occasionally been down, but works fine with Firefox. Sometimes connections
> fail even if both endpoints are working. If you have a particular persistent
> problem with hg.python.org, I suggest talking to your ISP.
>
> Cloning the CPython repository may take an hour or two if that is what you
> are trying to do.

It takes 15 minutes to clone with hg from hg.python.org on my machine.
It takes 4 minutes on the same machine to clone the semi-official
github mirror using git: 'git clone
https://github.com/python/cpython.git'

Those times are obviously affected by the fact that I have a very good
internet connection at work: neither of the above operations comes
close to the maximum bandwidth that I can access from some servers.
Perhaps if there are problems with hg.python.org you might want to try
the github mirror though.

Oscar