Tail recursion to while iteration in 2 easy steps

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 9 18:45:05 EDT 2013

On 10/08/2013 02:22 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>>> You are mistaken to think that there is a single, one-to-one, mapping
>>> between high-level code and machine code.
>> It's not mistaken.
> I'm afraid it is. Reality trumps your theory. gcc, clang, Microsoft
> Visual Studio, and all the many, many other C compilers do not generate
> identical machine code even when targeting the same hardware. This is a
> fact. It's not even the case that there is One True Way to implement a
> particular program on a given hardware device and compilers merely are
> buggy for doing something else. There are often different ways to
> implement it which are equally good, the only difference being personal
> preference.
>

>> Given a stable and formalized language definition,
>> there should only be continued optimization of the lexical and
>> procedural constructs into better machine code.
> Better than what? "Continued" optimization? When you say "lexical and
> procedural constructs", do you mean "source code"?
>

>> In the case of an
>> "interpreted" language like Python (which I'll define as a language
>> which includes a layer of indirection between the user and the machine,
> Irrelevant. In the case of Python, there is a machine. The fact that it
> is a VM rather than a physical machine is irrelevant. A machine is a
> machine -- we could be talking about a Lisp Machine, a Forth Machine, a
> x86 processor, an Motorola 68000, an Atom processor, one of those old
> Russian mainframes that used three-state trits instead of two-state bits,
> or even Babbage's Analytical Engine.
>
> Besides, most modern CPUs don't execute machine code directly, they run
> the machine code in a virtual machine implemented in hardware. So the
> difference between Python and x86 machine code is just a matter of degree.
>

>> encouraging the nice benefits of interactivity), such optimization isn't
>> really apropos, because it's not the purpose of python to be optimal to
>> the machine as much as "optimal to the programmer".  In any case, while
>> such optimization can continue over time, they generally create new
>> compiler releases to indicate such changes.  The one-to-one mapping is
>> held by the compiler.
>>
>> Such determinism *defines* the machine, otherwise you might as well get
>> rid of the notion of computer *science*.  All else is error, akin to
>> cosmic rays or magic.  Unless the source code changes, all else
>> remaining equal, the machine code is supposed to be the same, no matter
>> how many times it is compiled.
> That is akin to saying that there is *only one* way to measure the speed
> of light (say), standing in exactly the same place, using exactly the
> same equipment, using precisely the same measurement techniques, and that
> if we allow alternative methods for measuring the speed of light, physics
> is no longer a science.
>

>>> [Only if you use the exact source, compiler, switches, etc]] will the
>>> output be the same.
> [...]
I would assert that Python is not inherently a virtual machine
language.  Originally, IIRC, it was believed that LISP couldn't be
compiled.  Also, you could implement that virtual machine as a hardware
machine.  (Also, of course, on modern hardware assembly language is run
on a virtual machine, implemented by an underneath microcode layer.)

You can reasonably say that an implementation of Python is done in terms
of a virtual machine.  (Usually I don't bother about this kind of
nit-pick, but in this discussion it seems apropos.)

--
Charles Hixson