JUST GOT HACKED

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 09:06:40 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 04:42:32 -0700, feedthetroll wrote:
>
>> "Learning for personal pleasure" and "business server" can't be true
>> both.
>
> Utter nonsense. Some people are fortunate enough to be paid to do
> something that gives them pleasure. Many programmers and system
> administrators are in that lucky position. I am sorry that you
> (apparently) get no pleasure from learning new programming and sys admin
> skills, but don't imagine that everyone is like that.

There's still a difference between getting paid to do something you
enjoy, and getting paid to learn the utter basics. I enjoy networking,
and I'm paid to do that (well, part of my job involves networking);
this week I learned something new that I can do by simply setting a
few ARP entries and some fixed routes, which let us de-hack some
sections of our code. That's great! I love doing it, and I learn
something, and I get paid to do so. Awesome! But if you hire someone
to set you up a LAN, and he's still learning the fundamentals of IP
addressing and so on, then you'd be a bit concerned.

The terms, as stated, are far too broad. Learning at the level Nikos
currently is, though, is IMHO incompatible with being paid to do it.

ChrisA