JUST GOT HACKED

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Oct 1 22:30:20 EDT 2013

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 00:24:35 +1000, Daniel Stojanov wrote:

> 2) I just signed up the this mailing list. To the regulars, is this what
> normally happens on this list?

No.

> 3) I'm a bit late to the party. Is Nikos a real sysadmin or is this some
> horrible inside joke I don't get?

Nikos is not a real sysadmin. He is a wanna-be web developer who barely
knows Python. He is arrogant and annoying. Unfortunately he is not the
real problem here. The real problem is a bunch of vigilantes have
appointed themselves the anti-Nikos lynch mob and take every opportunity
they can to mock him, insult him, bait him into responding to their
taunts, and even make public death threats against him. And now it
appears that one of them may have hacked into his web site in an attempt
to put him out of business.

These vigilantes have decided to save this mailing list from Nikos, even
if it means destroying it. Nikos at least does ask Python questions. The
vigilantes hardly talk about Python at all, they're too busy laughing at
Nikos and insulting him. Nikos doesn't learn from his errors; neither do
the vigilantes, no matter how many times they have failed they are sure
that if they mock him just a little bit harder he will go away. He won't,
they keep baiting him even more, and this place is going to shit thanks
to them.

P.S. this mailing list is mirrored on Usenet as comp.lang.python, and it
is considered rude to post HTML if you can avoid it.

--
Steven