JUST GOT HACKED

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Thu Oct 3 03:01:29 EDT 2013

Op 02-10-13 15:17, Steven D'Aprano schreef:

> [...]
>> And you don't treat all others in the way you hope to be treated if you
>> would be in their shoes. I suspect that should you one day feel so
>> frustrated you need to vent, you will hope to get treated differently
>> than how you treat those that need to vent now. You are very selective
>> about the people in whose shoes you can imagine yourself.
>
> I am only an imperfect human being. I don't always live up to my ideals.
> Sometimes I behave poorly. I have a tendency to react to newbies' poor
> questions with sarcasm. Perhaps a little bit of sarcasm is okay, but
> there is a fine line between making a point and being unnecessarily
> nasty. If I cross that line, I hope that somebody will call me out on it.

Steve it is not about failing. It is about not even trying. You don't
follow the principle of treating others in the way you hope to be
treated if you were in their shoes. You just mention the principle if
you think it can support your behaviour.

Your paragraph above is a nice illustration. Suppose you develop a new
interest in which you are now the newbie and you go to a newsgroup or
forum where as a nebie you ask a poor question. Are you hoping they will
answer with sarcasm? I doubt that very much. Yet here you are telling
us sarcasm is okay as long as you don't cross the line instead of
you showing us that you would like to follow this priciple although you
find it hard in a number of circumstances.

--
Antoon Pardon