JUST GOT HACKED

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Oct 2 09:17:20 EDT 2013

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 13:28:11 +0200, Antoon Pardon wrote:

> Op 02-10-13 11:08, Steven D'Aprano schreef:
>> On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 12:32:57 +0530, Ravi Sahni wrote:
>>
>>> I find this real confused!! Why they are answering then?!?! As far as
>>> I can make out everyone who is answering (helping!) doing it
>>> frustratation and disgust.  But still they keep answering and
>>> answering!!
>>>
>>> Makes no sense
>>

>> If you want to ask why people are answering Nikos' questions, you
>> should ask them directly. I won't speak for others, but I'll answer for
>> myself: I answer Nikos' questions because:
>>
>> #1 He is a member of our community who needs help with Python, and this
>> is a welcoming community, not an elitist one.
>
> Come on Steve. You have kill filed people. So you don't think that
> merely being a member is enough. Or are you being elistist when you kill
> file someone?

When I kill-file somebody, I tell them, and I always make it temporary.
This is not a matter of elitism, it is a matter of responding to bad
behaviour and sending a message that it is inappropriate -- if you behave
badly, I will not see your messages. Think of it as "time out", or for
sports fans, "the sin bin".

I expect some people have probably kill-filed me, although (to the best
of me knowledge) none of them have had the elementary decency to tell me.

[...]
> And you don't treat all others in the way you hope to be treated if you
> would be in their shoes. I suspect that should you one day feel so
> frustrated you need to vent, you will hope to get treated differently
> than how you treat those that need to vent now. You are very selective
> about the people in whose shoes you can imagine yourself.

I am only an imperfect human being. I don't always live up to my ideals.
Sometimes I behave poorly. I have a tendency to react to newbies' poor
questions with sarcasm. Perhaps a little bit of sarcasm is okay, but
there is a fine line between making a point and being unnecessarily
nasty. If I cross that line, I hope that somebody will call me out on it.

--
Steven