JUST GOT HACKED

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Wed Oct 2 02:29:07 EDT 2013

Op 02-10-13 00:06, Ben Finney schreef:
> Daniel Stojanov <daniel.stjnv at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 2) I just signed up the this mailing list.
>
> Welcome! Feel free to engage and/or begin some Python-related threads
> :-)
>
>> To the regulars, is this what normally happens on this list?
>
> This is an unmoderated forum, so we have occasional spates of persistent
> nuisances, and those who respond with the maturity level and impulse
> control of an average six-year-old.

I think this is an unfair characterisation. People venting their
frustration after the umpteenth thread started by Nikos in which
he rejects the answers given to him and him repeatedly coming
back with the same question, that is not the impulse control of
a six year old.

And what about the impuls control and the maturity of people who
can't stop answering Nikos, knowing they contribute to the nuisance
to the group?

> We have guidelines on community conduct, but they are enforced through
> social pressure and hence are not perfect.

That social pressure is enforced rather one-side. People can endlessly
contribute to the nuisance by keeping engaging with Nikos no matter
how many times his nuisance his exposed and you will here very few
complains. But then others start venting their frustration and suddenly
the social pressure is put on.

--
Antoon Pardon