Python Unicode handling wins again -- mostly

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Nov 30 01:25:49 EST 2013

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 02:05:59 -0300, Zero Piraeus wrote:

> (I happen to think the presence of ligatures in Unicode is insane, but
> my dictator-of-the-world certificate appears to have gotten lost in the
> post, so fixing that will have to wait).

You're probably right, but we live in an insane world of dozens of insane
legacy encodings, and part of the mission of Unicode is to include every
single character that those legacy encodings did. Since some of them
included ligatures, so must Unicode. Sad but true.

(Unicode is intended as a replacement for the insanity of dozens of
multiply incompatible character sets. It cannot hope to replace them if
it cannot represent every distinct character they represent.)

--
Steven