Python Unicode handling wins again -- mostly

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Nov 30 02:41:16 EST 2013

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 00:37:17 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

> So, who am I to argue with the people who decided that I needed to be
> able to type a "PILE OF POO" character.

Blame the Japanese for that. Apparently some of the biggest users of
Unicode are the various Japanese mobile phone manufacturers, TV stations,
map makers and similar. So there's a large number of symbols and emoji
(emoticons) specifically added for them, presumably because they pay big
dollars to the Unicode Consortium and therefore get a lot of influence in
what gets added.

--
Steven