Python Unicode handling wins again -- mostly

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Nov 30 00:37:17 EST 2013

In article <529967dc$0$29993$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> > The whole idea of ligatures like fi is purely typographic.
>
> In English, that's correct. I'm not sure if we can generalise that to all
> languages that have ligatures. It also partly depends on how you define
> ligatures.

I was speaking specifically of "ligatures like fi" (or, if you prefer,
"ligatures like ό".  By which I mean those things printers invented
because some letter combinations look funny when typeset as two distinct
letters.

There are other kinds of ligatures.  For example, Å“ is a dipthong.  It
makes sense (well, to me, anyway) that upper case œ is Έ.

Well, anyway, that's the truth according to me.  Apparently the Unicode
Consortium disagrees.  So, who am I to argue with the people who decided
that I needed to be able to type a "PILE OF POO" character.  Which, by
the way, I can find in my "Character Viewer" input helper, but which MT
Newswatcher doesn't appear to be willing to insert into text.  I guess
Basic Multilingual Poo would have been OK but Astral Poo is too much for
it.