Managing Google Groups headaches

Arif Khokar akhokar1234 at wvu.edu
Thu Nov 28 19:46:21 EST 2013

On 11/28/2013 1:50 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 11/28/2013 11:37 AM, rusi wrote:

>> 2. All kinds of people hop onto the list. In addition to genuine ones there are
>>     spammers, trolls, dicks, nuts, philosophers, help-vampires etc etc.
>
> What they have in common is usenet.  Ditching usenet would solve both
> problems.

The problem could also be solved through client side filtering (i. e.,
killfiles).  I usually killfile posters who crosspost to unrelated
groups (which filters 99% of the spam that comes through).  I'm sure
that the usenet/email gateway could be configured to filter such posts
on the server side so those who read this list via email won't have
those problems.

The problem with just using email is that it's a bit more difficult to
browse archived posts to this group.  After I subscribed to this group
(comp.lang.python) using my news client, I could immediately browse
posts made as far back as April.