Managing Google Groups headaches

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 13:29:13 EST 2013

On 11/28/2013 10:23 AM, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> Funny, I thought the sentiment of many here was, "let's just keep this
> as a newsgroup, why do we need the mailing list also?" but I'll admit to
> being confused about what people have been proposing for alternate
> topologies.

That may well be the majority sentiment here.  I only state my opinion.

Seems like 90% of the problems on this list come from the unchecked
usenet side of things.  Such as trolls or spam.  For example a certain
iron-skulled person who posted his whining rants and threats from half a
dozen different addresses to the annoyance of all.  Despite many calls
to banish him from the list for his blatant disregard for list
etiquette, with usenet it's just not possible.  Although I'm sure some
would argue that's a good thing to be unable to kick offenders off the list.

I've used mailing lists for many years and they seem to be a good
compromise between an open community and a controlled forum.