Cracking hashes with Python

Marc marc at marcd.org
Mon Nov 25 18:58:40 EST 2013

Hashes, by definition, are not reversible mathematically.  The only way to
figure out what they represent is to take plaintext that might be the
plaintext based on anything you might know about the original plaintext
(which is often nothing) and hash it; then see if the hash matches the one
you have.  If it does, you have figured out the plaintext; if it doesn't try
again.  For a tool that does this, look at Rainbow tables.