Python application for rpm creation

Andrew Heagle andrew at logaan.com
Mon Nov 25 12:27:10 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Unix SA <d.joshi84 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> Probably not right forum but I thought I should get some suggestions.
>
> I am looking for some tool written in python which can help users to
> create rpm spec files and later help to build rpms, this will be for users
> who are not aware of what spec file is and how to.create rpm.
>
> Anyone knows such tool? It will be great if has gui.
>
> Regards,
> Dj

Sounds to me more like he is looking to package some other in house
software, as opposed to packaging python specific libraries, etc...

I think you can just provide a blank spec file for them to 'fill in the
blanks', however, using a GUI would be tricky since some parts of the spec
file you typically wouldn't be able to complete until after attempting to
build a few times (eg, %file section).

Doing an apt-cache search on my Ubuntu desktop results with a project,
Spectacle, coincidentally written in Python. (I haven't really looked into
it):
http://meego.gitorious.org/meego-developer-tools/spectacle

When you have your spec files made, I'd recommend using this service to
build your RPMS: https://build.opensuse.org/

Regards,
Andrew