Importing by file name

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 09:25:12 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 19:07:38 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> I know the recent Pythons give a lot of import power to the script. But
>> maybe I'm just asking too much, and some of this stuff really is magical
>> and implemented in C?
>
> That was the case up to 3.3, but Python 3.4 has the import machinery re-
> written in pure Python (except for a tiny bit of bootstrapping machinery,
> if I understand correctly). I understand that nobody understood the
> import machinery in full (although there were a couple of people who
> understood most of it), and that moving it to Python was a Herculean job.
> If I remember correctly, it uncovered a number of undetected bugs and
> dark corners with unspecified behaviour.

Alright, I'll sit tight for 3.4 beta then... or maybe play with what's
currently in trunk (which is my 'python3' executable on Sikorsky). I
haven't seen anything that lets me replace the master in that way, but
there is a HUGE amount of Python's bootstrap that I have never even
peeked into.

ChrisA