JSON translated into SQL by python

Jussi Piitulainen jpiitula at ling.helsinki.fi
Sat Nov 23 03:06:55 EST 2013

Aaron G. writes:

> I am new to programming python for JSON to SQL and I was wondering
> why this does not work. All the values for entering the DB are
> correct. The EnterpriseValue data is not entering the database.
>
> #collect data from JSON source at Yahoo
> url = ["db", "http://y.ahoo.it/wlB89"]
> #check all sites
> checkstatus(url[]);
> #retrieve EnterpriseValue data from yahoo to DB
> url = "http://y.ahoo.it/wlB89"
> data = helper.openJSON_URL(url)
> #store data
> curObservation = data["EnterpriseValue"]
>
> #connect to amazon and post data from Yahoo
> conn = inti_psql_amazon("db name", "db user", "password", "db source")
> query = "CREATE TABLE temp2 (ID int NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, Enterprise_Value float, PRIMARY KEY(ID));"
> query = "INSERT INTO TABLE temp2 (enterprise) VALUES("+ str(curObservation) +");"
> do_query_amazon(conn, query)
> close_psql_amazon(conn)

Possibly you should let the database know about the first query. Now
it's just a very short-lived string in the Python program.

Is there no exception?

My inclination would be to go to the Python interpreter and try very
simple interactions with the database. Create a table with only one
column. Insert one value. See if the value is there. Hello, world.