Got a Doubt ! Wanting for your Help ! Plz make it ASAP !

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 09:00:27 EST 2013

On 2013-11-27 13:29, rusi wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:27:52 PM UTC+5:30, Robert Kern wrote:
>>> Well so much for this group being an international group with only one
>>> language allowed.
>>> However that second sentence doesn't make much sense to me. Modern
>>> languages contain a subset that is called the standard language.
>
>> Linguists would disagree.
>
> Linguists disagree a lot amongst themselves:
>
> Early 20th century there was Fowler and his followers -- unabashedly
> laying down the law on what is right and not.  Then there were his
> opponents (French school I think, not sure what they were called --
> poststructuralists maybe??) who said language was defined by usage and
> not the other way.  Until someone (Fowlerite?) pointed out that those
> anti-Fowlerites seemingly objectively described all the dialects but
> they themselves stuck to pristine Queen's English.
>
> So like in society, all dialects are equal and some are more equal!

Henry Fowler? To my knowledge, he was a dictionary-maker, not a linguist. To be
fair, back then, the field of linguistics was not terribly well established, so
he might have qualified for the title at the time. However, linguistics has
learned a lot and moved on since then. You would be seriously hard-pressed to
find a prescriptivist linguist these days.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco