Got a Doubt ! Wanting for your Help ! Plz make it ASAP !

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 07:51:06 EST 2013

On 2013-11-27 08:31, Antoon Pardon wrote:
> Op 27-11-13 09:19, Chris Angelico schreef:
>> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 7:16 PM, Antoon Pardon
>> <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>>> However that second sentence doesn't make much sense to me. Modern
>>> languages contain a subset that is called the standard language. This
>>> is the subset that is generally taught. Especially to those for whom
>>> the language is foreign. So when you define a specific language to
>>> use on an international forum, it is strongly suggested that people
>>> limit themselves to the standard subset and don't use dialects since
>>> "dialect" AFAIU means it is outside this standard.
>>
>> Do you mean standard British English, standard American English,
>> standard Australian English, or some other?
>
> Does that significantly matter or are you just looking for details
> you can use to disagree? As far as I understand the overlap between
> standard British English and standard American English is so large
> that it doesn't really matter for those who had to learn the language.
> Likewise for the overlap with standard Australian English.

Since the original usage that you are complaining about is "standard" Indian
English[1], yes, it does significantly matter.

[1] To the extent that there is such a thing as a "standard" form of any
language. Which there isn't, but I will grant you your premise for the time being.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco