Got a Doubt ! Wanting for your Help ! Plz make it ASAP !

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Wed Nov 27 04:12:46 EST 2013

Op 27-11-13 09:36, Chris Angelico schreef:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM, Antoon Pardon
> <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>> Op 27-11-13 09:19, Chris Angelico schreef:
>>>
>>> Do you mean standard British English, standard American English,
>>> standard Australian English, or some other?
>>
>> Does that significantly matter or are you just looking for details
>> you can use to disagree? As far as I understand the overlap between
>> standard British English and standard American English is so large
>> that it doesn't really matter for those who had to learn the language.
>> Likewise for the overlap with standard Australian English.
>
> It matters hugely when your point depends on their being a single
> "standard English". The overlap may be large, but all you've done is
> either change the terms without solving the problem (because there are
> still multiple language variants being used) or create a new language
> (the common subset of English across all usages, which is an
> impossible target to aim for).

You are nitpicking. I didn't say nor implied their is a perfect
solution. However that there is no perfect solution doesn't imply
we can't expect some effort from those with english as a mother
tongue to search for ways in which to express themselves that are
more likely to be understood by those who had to learn english
as a foreign language than just to use their local idiom/dialect.

I think that is basic respect for those who had to learn the language.

--
Antoon Pardon